Sunday, December 13, 2009

Doi Pui or the Northern Hilltribe Village

This past weekend I took a little trip up North to the city of Chiang Mai, met up with a couple friends from Bangkok and did a little site seeing. First stop on the trip was หมู่บ้านแม้ว (a hilltribe village) called ดอยปุย or Doi Pui. The main part the tourists get to see is really one long winding road that is lined with shops full of clothes and other crafts these hilltribe people have made.

At the end of the road is a small flower garden filled with all varieties of flowers ranging in all sorts of colors.


 
There is also a small waterfall just past the flower garden.

You can rent an outfit for 30 baht/hr (about $1) and wander around the gardens taking pictures dressed as a traditional hilltribe person.

While in the village, I had the opportunity to shoot a wooden crossbow at a couple unripe papayas. 3 shots for 10 baht.

My first shot nailed the rightmost papaya.

I barely missed with the second shot and killed the left papaya with my last shot. The guy tried to get me to buy a crossbow after I was done for 1000 baht, but I had to pass.

We only stayed around the village for one hour, plenty of time to have some fun and spend a little money on souvenirs.

No comments: