Thursday, May 7, 2009

DVD Box - Day 1

At the end of last summer, my cousin Kris, and I went out into his shop and decided to make a wooden storage box. He actually had to teach me how to use almost every tool in the shop, particularly the table saw, circular saw, drill press, etc, since I had never stepped foot into a wood shop before. (pretty lame, I know)

This is the resulting box

Picture with a cooler inside to give an idea of the size.

For anyone that knows me, it is common knowledge that I own hundreds of DVDs. In fact, I have almost 400. So, after making this storage box, I decided I wanted to design and make a box to hold all my movies. It is actually going to be a lot different than the box Kris and I created. I have designed this box to have a drawer on the bottom with a stationery shelf on top, all covered by a hinged lid. Easy enough to say, but may prove difficult as I build (we'll see). Mainly because I don't have all the wonderful tools that Kris does. He spoiled me and now I'm gonna have to make due with a miter saw, a jigsaw, and a drill. Should be interesting.

Here is what I have to work with

A shot of the makeshift workbench with the miter saw.

So, if you are interested in the final outcome, stayed tuned for updates and pictures as I progress on my endeavor.

No comments: